Helen Lowe alerted me to the following competition and anthology, which seems like a suitable one to post about at Easter:
Spiritual Writing Competition
Closes: End of May
Judged by a church-based panel led by Pleasant Point writer Karalyn Joyce
Prizes: 1st $500; 2nd $250; 3rd $100
Up to 50 submissions are to be published in a new “Spiritual Anthology” launched in November 2009
Calling for all non-published poems/fiction/non-fiction work with a “words to inspire” based theme; i.e., life; death; creation; peace; miracles; wonder; reflection from new and established writers of all ages
For entry form send a stamped self-addressed envelope to: “Spiritual Anthology”, 4a Horton Street, Pleasant Point, South Canterbury; or email: daphnej (at) xtra.co.nz
The entry form has further details:
- Submissions (fiction/non-fiction or poetry) must be the original work of the entrant, previously unpublished and not under consideration elsewhere. A suggested length for stories is up to 1,500 words. Poetry is suggested to be no more than 50 lines. The editing team reserves the right to select work from the submissions received and will contact the writer to gain publishing rights but copyright will remain with the writer.
- Contributors published in the anthology to receive a free copy in lieu of payment, and the right to order further copies at a special rate. Prizes to be presented at special launch of the anthology in November, or forwarded to the writer following the launch.
- The theme is: “words to inspire” (i.e., life; death; love; peace; grace; miracles; healing; creation; reflection; spirituality).
- Winners and the writers of the chosen work for the anthology will be notified by email/telephone, others will be destroyed unless there is a stamped self-addressed envelope with the submission.
- The entry fee is $2 per poem/ $5 per short story and writers are welcome to enter two or more times. The competition is open to all ages.
- Entries are to be typed single sided A4 paper and double spaced.
- Judge’s decision is final.
- The writer’s name must not appear on the manuscript. Please use the entry form below. Photocopies are acceptable.
- The closing date is the 31st May 2009.