And what I plan to say is that, on climate change, we’re not even at a standstill – we’re going backwards. But there is still time to change that, if we act soon, and if we act decisively.
Real climate leadership rises from below. It means power in the hands of people not corporations. It means economic opportunity for workers and justice and dignity for frontline communities that are the hardest hit by the impacts of the fossil fuel industry and a warming world.
This September, cities, states, businesses and civil society from around the world are gathering in California for the Global Climate Action Summit. Local leaders are now leading the fight against greenhouse gases as governments drag their feet. We need to achieve: a fast, fair and just transition to 100% renewable energy; an immediate end to new fossil fuel projects; reforestation for carbon absorption; and an end to unsustainable land and water use.
We are at a crossroads. By acting together, we can end the era of fossil fuels and save the climate we all depend on.
What’s happening in Aotearoa?
You are warmly invited to the 350 events in the main centres.
Not near a major city? Why not set up your own event?! 350 Aotearoa can give you heaps of support & helpful resources
– contact Claudia Palmer email@example.com
Check the 350 Aotearoa Facebook page for the most up-to-date info in all centres. Links go to their Facebook events.
- Auckland 350 is calling on Auckland Museum not to take dirty money from the coal industry. Rally Sat 8 Sept, 10:30am. Auckland Museum A. The Auckland Domain, Parnell, Auckland
- Wellington 350 is calling on the City Council not to hire out council–owned conference facilities to the Petroleum Summit. Rally Sat 8 Sept 2:00pm. Civic Square, 101 Wakefield St, Wellington
- Nelson 350 is launching a new 350 fossil free action group for Nelson. Rally Sat 8 Sept 12:00pm Church Steps, 45 Selwyn Place, Nelson
- Christchurch 350 has 2 events, on Friday and Saturday:
1) Spotlighting Local Climate Leadership – Transitional Cathedral, Friday 7 Sept, 7pm – schools, churches, unions etc
2) Trees for Climate – rally at Victoria Square, Sat 8 Sept, 1-3pm – seedlings, speakers, music….
- Dunedin 350 is getting together to celebrate their successes to date and plan the future. Meet Sat 8 Sept at 1pm at the Octagon, Dunedin.
Enjoy! The antidote to despair is taking action together and there are many ways to do this.